Friday, July 2, 2010

2010 Reach The Summit Celebration Party June 27th, 2010


Surrounded in feeling of euphoria, everybody involved in this program and their guests gathered at Timberline Lodge to celebrate our amazing achievements.  For the Mt. Hood climbers, this would officially conclude their participation in this year's Reach The Summit program.  Not knowing what was going to happen to me at this party tonight, my wife, Sharona, and I opted to drive separately to the lodge, which was a good thing.  If it came to it, I was going to just crash in my car before I went home.  Not that that would be anything entirely new to me anyway. 

The cocktail hour started at 5pm when we started priming ourselves with some recreational beverages of our choices before the evening shifted to higher gears.  It was very exciting to listen to my fellow climbers talk about their summit experience and feel the common bond developed amongst ourselves over the past several months simply as a group of fellow human beings who came together to meet this once-in-a-lifetime challenge to serve something much greater than ourselves. 

Once we were properly prepped, we moved downstairs for our dinner.  There were a lot of us.  It was really the first time when we had a chance to get a sense of and appreciate just how many people had been involved in supporting us throughout this endeavor.  I managed to snap some photos before I was ushered back to my seat to start eating.

As the head of Reach The Summit program, Jennifer kicked off the main program, and recognized and thanked many on behalf of the American Lung Association and the climbers.  In the excitement generated in the wake of Mt. Hood climbers' ascent, the real reason why we were there in the first place could have been easily overshadowed but Marlene gave a heartfelt speech that reminded all of us that it was not only about climbing or raising fund but also about spreading awareness of the issues that affected all of us. 

Then it was time for the show!  John Waller who had contributed his talent as the official photographer of Reach The Summit premiered the incredible video and photos he took of Mt. Hood climbers' ascent this weekend.  John imparted to the audience the essence of why we did what we did with eloquence only visual images could have delivered.  (If you are on Facebook, you should be able see his trailer clip at http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150213863495114 .  I will be sure to repost this if non-Facebook one becomes available.)  WOW!! Such amazing sights - the climbers might as well have been astronauts on the moon!  While I was watching his show, I really had to appreciate the fact that John must have had to summit Mt. Hood practically four times in order to capture the images from different angles.    Before we ended the program, surprise gifts were presented on behalf of all 2010 Reach The Summit climbers to those who had volunteered their talent and time to provide us with the fitness training and technical expertise as tokens of our appreciation.  Thank you, April, Paula, Debbie, and Sue, for doing a great job putting together the gifts!!

I leave it to your imagination what ensued amongst the mountaineers after we headed back up to the bar where our rehydrating recommenced and fermented beverages flowed freely.  Big thanks to those who provided me with a bed in your room so I didn't have to sleep in my car that night!

Just after the Independence Day, several of us are heading out to climb Mt. St. Helens.  I will be back with the play by play next.  Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment